Friday, January 8, 2010

The Boulevard


Earlier this year I began volunteering as an Art Information Officer at the Corcoran Gallery of Art.  Prior to this I had absolutely no experience with art other than viewing it in museums and what I might have picked up in high school art class.

I felt that art and art history was an area in which I was seriously deficient and I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to study something entirely new without any pressure to make it a career!  My time at the Corcoran, which is several hours per month, has not only become something that makes me happy but also something to always look forward to. 

Since I began, I've had the opportunity to not only learn the amazing history of the Corcoran but also about many of the pieces permanently housed in it.  At any given time you can view about 10% of the Corcoran's permanent collection including a 18th century salon!  This collection includes a fantastic mix of American and European Art, quite a bit of which was donated by William Wilson Corcoran or Senator William Clark

Last night I had the opportunity to learn a little bit more about some of the pieces recently reinstalled in the permanent collection and I fell in love with one painting I've never seen before.

Surrounded by the famous Impressionists Pissarro, Renoir and Monet a lovely Jean-Francois Raffaelli painting hung on a wall of its own.  The Boulevard Champs Elysee by Raffaelli was painted c. 1900-1905 and depicts a beautiful Parisian Boulevard and is from the Corcoran's Clark Collection.  The bright blue of the sky and the vibrant orange of the trees give this painting a surreal quality that I can't stop thinking about.  Unfortunately, I can't find a print online to show you so I must encourage you to go to the Corcoran and see this beautiful painting. 


The Hotel de Ville de Paris, similar to The Boulevard Champs Elysee but the coloring isn't as vibrant.

The next exhibition Turner to Cézanne: Masterpieces from the Davies Collection, National Museum Wales opens on January 30th. Until then you can only see what has been installed from the permanent collection, which is definitely worth the trip. 

For more information on visiting the Corcoran please visit their website here

Everyone have a wonderful weekend!

UPDATE: I was working at the Corcoran today and found out that I had the name of the piece wrong.  Unfortunately, I still can't find a scan of it online.

No comments:

Post a Comment