Monday, January 4, 2010

Make Just One Someone Happy…

A new year is generally the time when we all take a look at ourselves and resolve to change whatever we don’t like. It always seems like a good idea but on New Years day you’re likely coming off a major alcohol binge and the only thing that will save you is eating greasy food, not, regrettably, working out. Regret being, well, the regrettable word.

I benefit by having my yearly reminder of mortality come a few short days into the year. Four to be exact. Today I’m 26 and rather than spend the next six weeks resolving to kill myself to fit into my college jeans before giving up in a fit of rage that ends in a pile of ice cream and pizza, I’m resolving to make 2010 my happy year.

What does that mean exactly? Happy year? I know that I can’t be happy for the next 365 days and I’m not resolving to be (plus, some girl already did that on another blog and got a book deal). This little online diary is going to be about what makes me happy. By sharing these things with an unknown readership I hope to constantly be forced to remind myself why I live the life that I do and I hope that you, unknown reader, will one day find yourself realizing that something that makes me happy might also make you happy too.

Of course, I can’t do this alone. As wonderful as it would be to acknowledge that my word is the harbinger of happiness, it’s just not possible. So, I’ve enlisted some friend’s dutiful contributors to bring in other angles and viewpoints. This blog is principally set in and around Washington, DC. It’s a city I have fallen in love with so, naturally, it’s my happy place and I hope it can be yours too. But, happy Washingtonians travel, and we travel mostly along the Atlantic seaboard so I’ve asked Renie Rogers to be our New York correspondent. Renie is a much better writer than I am and she will undoubtedly make you jealous that you aren’t a fabulous New Yorker. Likewise, Natalie Stevens, another Washingtonian, is so well versed in matters of pop culture and entertainment that I’ve asked for her help. Natalie will chime in from time to time with wonderful reviews of music, television, movies and anything else that makes her auditory and visual senses happy. This girl knows her stuff and has never steered me wrong (but I am dragging my feet on Avatar).

So, Ladies and Gentleman(?) that’s what Metropolitan Fairytale is all about. It’s not about a handsome prince climbing a skyscraper and freeing a damsel in distress, it’s just about trying to be a happy twenty-something living in an American city.

Tomorrow I’ll begin by attempting to be happy another year older, and another day colder.

…and you, will be happy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment