Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Aviator

Over the weekend I took a brief trip to New York City to meet my sisters and introduce them to my boyfriend. My sisters aren’t the most timely and our room at the Waldorf wasn’t quite ready so we decided to go find ourselves a Bloody Mary (or two, or three.)  That was easier said than done and we very cleverly found ourselves at Café SFA at Saks Fifth Avenue.  We popped in, had a few Bloody’s and moved on.

On our way out the door, we passed by the sunglasses section and my boyfriend tried on a pair of Marc Jacobs aviators.  A while back, I mentioned that I thought he would look great in a pair of Ray-Ban Original Aviators.  I asked the sales associate for a pair and, was I right or was I right?  I couldn’t quite get over how they transformed my already handsome boyfriend into a movie star.  I swooned a little, and so did the sales people.

I’ve always been a Ray-Ban fan, I wear their Jackie Ohh style and am obsessed.  I like the history of the brand, especially the original, the Aviator.
The “Aviator” was developed by Bausch & Lomb in 1936 for the United States Air Force and branded as Ray-Ban. At the time, they were known as “Pilot’s Glasses” and were characterized by dark, often reflective lenses having an area two or three times the area of the eye socket.  The signature metal frames had bayonet earpieces or flexible cable temples that hook behind the ears. The original design featured G-20 tempered glass lenses (natural gray) transmitting 20% of incoming light. The large lenses are not flat but slightly convex. The design attempts to cover the entire range of the eye and prevent as much light as possible from entering the eye socket from any angle. Sounds perfect for someone trying to fly a plane, right?

A few years after its development, Ray-Ban began selling the Aviator commercially, although, it’s interesting to note that in 1937, the general public was banned from wearing the glasses.  During World War II, the brand gained immense popularity as General Douglas MacArthur was  photographed landing on the beach of the Philippines wearing the glasses.

Since then, everyone from Tom Cruise in Top Gun to President Obama have sported the iconic shades.

I like the no nonsense sensibility of the Aviators and the cool factor really is through the roof.  You can get yourself a pair for under $150.

No comments:

Post a Comment