Friday, January 6, 2012

Neons and Nudes


A great thing happened this weekend!

Spring makeup came out! Yay!

I'm not one that often changes my makeup with the season.  I'll update my nailpolish, perhaps a new lipstick, and occasionally a new blush (however, I found that coral blush works so great on me that I haven't stopped wearing it since last summer.)

With that being said, I have been meaning to ramp up my eye makeup.  I usually stick to greys, browns and beige.  It works for every day and can be layered for night. I've been going through little beauty gift with purchase samples for months now trying to find a palette that gives me the ability to wear day-to-day as well as amp up the drama for night.  It's harder than I though as most palettes only have four colors which makes it hard to layer and it's difficult to find the supplement colors in the same sort of color family.

Why not just buy a bunch of individual eye shadows you may ask?  Several reasons.  1.) That get's expensive 2.) My make-up case, while large, clutters easily, and 3.) I allow myself approximately 50 minutes to get ready in the morning.  That includes washing and drying my hair, making my bed, packing a lunch and sometimes, doing laundry.  I don't know the exact times, but I imagine closing and opening several little eye shadows would totally make me late for work.

Anyway, I was tagging along to Macy's with my roommate who was looking for a new blush.  I recommended Bobbi Brown because I love her stuff and I have a shimmer blush that I'm pretty obsessed with. Imagine how delighted I was to see the new Neons and Nudes collection.  That's my favorite spring clothing combo so I'm pretty psyched that I can move the trend to my face.

Ultra Nude Eye Palette $45

The palette is pretty amazing.  No one does nude eye shadow as well as Bobbi Brown and these are subtle, layer well and last all day.  Plus, the brush is perfect and the mirror makes it easy to pop this in your work bag if you want to add some drama before happy hour.  At $45 it won't break the bank and you will be delighted with the easy to accomplish results.

I recommended visiting Bobbi Brown's website for quick video's and tips on how to apply your makeup.  You can even learn how to do a perfect smokey eye in a moving cab!

I recommend using a base eye color just to hold everything together.  I love a creme based shadow in a light color to provide a nice base.  Yet again, I recommend Bobbi Brown.  Try the long-wear creme shadow, I like it in Bone.

Long-Wear Creme Shadow $24

Also, I know EVERYONE says this.  But, it really doesn't crease.  It's pretty amazing.

The rest of the Neons & Nudes collection is wonderfully vibrant.  The neon eye shadows were a bit overwhelming to me and I am not a lip gloss girl so I really didn't bother.  The Nude Pink and Nude Peach blush are lovely and subtle and while I'll stick to my Shimmer Coral, I do like both of them quite a bit.

I am a lipstick girl, and these are really the standouts of this collection.  I tried the Atomic Orange and it was way to much for my pale winter skin.  I loved the pop but I'll have to pop more with a tan.  Uber Beige is great and lovely, much like all of Bobbi Brown's nude lipsticks.  It's great for every day and if you want to go for a strong cheek or eye instead.  The Neon Pink looked wonderful on the sales lady, but after the shock of Atomic Orange, I decided to just look at it longingly in the tube rather than be reminded of my paleness by putting it on my face.

From left to right: Atomic Orange, Neon Pink & Uber Beige $23

All in all, it's a beautiful and quite unique collection.  I just wish that she offered a nailpolish line to go with it.

Will you be rocking the Neon and Nude look this spring, on your face or otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment