Friday, April 1, 2011

The Hangover

In a not so distant past, I was a party rockstar.  I attended the number two party school in the country and really did my part to maintain that ranking.  In lieu of a proper U.S. News and World Report ranking, I felt it was only fair that we excel at something.

So, for four years I build a tolerance that would likely see me place if this were an Olympic Sport.  I’m sure I would have some problems with the Russian judge as Vodka seemed to be my weak link, but I would definitely bring home Bronze.
At some point, this wonderful tolerance disappeared.  Like, drastically disappeared you guys.  If I have three glasses of wine over the course of four hours, I will feel like I was hit by a Metro train.  I used to down a bottle (or box) of wine on a Thursday night (ok, like five years ago - but I was doing just fine with half a bottle up until last year.)  I would wake up the next morning, work out, eat something, and do it all again the next two nights in a row. 

People have tried to comfort me with lines like, “Oh, well now you’ll be a cheap date.”

Uh, whatever. You go be a cheap date.

People forget that I actually LIKE to drink!  I like mingling at parties with a constant cocktail in my hand.  I like to try new varieties of Pinot Grigio. I don’t trust people that don’t drink because, why?  Why don’t you drink? Unless you abuse it, why not imbibe if you're of age?  I'm genuinely curious here. 

But alas, it looks like I have to tone it down because I feel beat up.  Really beat up.  I usually cure this with a steady drip of Diet Coke and Starbucks but that’s totally off the table because those were my Lenten sacrifices this year.  And, I felt the same way on Wednesday after three glasses of wine and broke my Lenten rule multiple times (3 Diet Coke’s and 2 Starbucks – holla!) 

Anyway, I’m currently looking for tips on how to fix this problem.  If the cure is to drink more, I will apologize in advance to my friends and family.  Unfortunately, I think I just have to accept that this is a sign of old age.  Sigh, I’d think I would rather have wrinkles. 

Cheers? 

No comments:

Post a Comment