Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Secretly Offended

I received a survey from Victoria's Secret today.  I was told it would take 10 Minutes and it would better tailor the coupons they send to me.  I clicked the link, because, sure.

The first questions was my marital status. 

Followed immediately by a Thank You for Completing the Survey!

I was sort of offended that they didn't want to know any more about me, I mean, just because I'm single doesn't mean I don't like pretty undergarments! Out of curiosity I decided to restart the survey, this time lying and saying that I was engaged.

Apparently, that's the ticket right there.  They were interested in starting a Wedding Anniversary promotion.  This just immediately makes me think of the Sex and the City episode where Carrie's shoes get stolen by Tatum O'Neal's bratty kids.









    
A scene from A Woman's Right to Shoes

I've thought of this episode quite a bit lately.  As my friends are getting married and having babies (note: I love my friends and I'm VERY beyond happy for them) I notice more and more how our culture is so geared toward these so-called Rite of Passage.  The gifts, the events, the expectations - it's all tradition and that's great but sometimes us Single Ladies feel a little left behind.

Our married friends are getting new champagne flutes and what do we get? We get a song by Beyonce that we sing, alone in our apartments in pretty pajamas that we bought at Victoria's Secret as we make dinner for one drinking wine (leftover from the weekend, natch) out of an Ikea wine glass.

I'm not complaining, I know my time will come. And as I write that line it sounds like I'm writing about death, not matrimony.  It sometimes feels as if so many people are moving forward with their personal lives, while I'm still relatively similar to the 22-year old who moved here four years ago.  In that span of time a lot has changed but a lot really hasn't. Am I subconsciously making this choice? Am I consciously making this choice?  Is this even a choice that's mine to make? 

Now, I'm so very confused.  Thanks a lot Victoria's Secret.

2 comments:

  1. A) I would think that the single ladies would be apt to purchase MORE pretty things, not less!?

    B) Your time WILL come. Or you will learn to be thrilled with single life. Or both. I 'learned to be thrilled', and within ONE WEEK met Jean. We'll be married less than 18 months later. Life can change in the blink of an eye!

    ReplyDelete