Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The New Look

I tend to be a little obsessed with 1960's Americana.  The history, the fashion, the personalities, the way it completely changed the country - everything.  For years I've collected books on Jackie Kennedy wishing I could emulate her signature coif.  I've walked past the beautiful home on P Street that she shared with Jack.  I've eaten at Martin's Tavern where he proposed (best French Onion Soup I've ever had) all the while trying to get a sense of what Washington, DC was like when it was Camelot.  

As part of this obsession I've also spent years waiting for ladylike, feminine style to return so I could dress the way I always assumed real ladies dressed.  Imagine my surprise when Mad Men became a bonafide hit and women's RTW began to look more and more, well, vintage.  I can't wait until it becomes fashionable to wear those delicate little gloves again. 

Whether you're a Betty or a Joan, a Marilyn or a Jackie you'll appreciate this article from Mad Men Unbuttoned (one of my Top 5 Favorite Websites on '60's culture) all on the creation of this iconic style. Thank you Mr. Christian Dior for the New Look.

Mad Men Unbuttoned: A Romp Through 1960's America by Natasha Vargas-Cooper; June 1, 2010
Martin's Tavern
The DC Traveler; A Tour of JFK’s Camelot

No comments:

Post a Comment